BARRIER SEX 5
Transparent oily liquid, colorless or yellowish in color, with a specific odor of the constituent components.
1 ml of the preparation contains the active ingredient:
megestrol acetate – 5 mg.
Excipients: propylene glycol, benzyl alcohol.
АТС vet QG03A, hormonal contraceptives for systemic use (QG03AC05 megestrol)
The active ingredient of the drug is a synthetic progestogen – megestrol acetate, a highly effective synthetic progesterone-like hormone. It acts on the hypothalamic-pituitary system, blocks the secretion of gonadotropic hormones of the adenohypophysis. A decrease in the level of gonadotropic hormones (FSH and LH) in the blood leads to a violation of folliculogenesis in females and the synthesis of testosterone in Leydig cells in males, as a result of which there is an inhibition of sexual desire in animals.
In the case of using the drug before the onset of estrus, the secretion of gonadotropic hormones is inhibited in females, which prevents ovulation. If the drug is used at the beginning of the follicular phase (second or third day of estrus), it leads to the interruption of estrus.
Megestrol acetate exhibits the same effect as other progestogen drugs. It has significant antiestrogenic and antiglucocorticoid activity.
The drug is well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, metabolized in the liver, and excreted from the body.
The drug has antiestrogenic and anovulatory effects and is used to delay or interrupt female cats and dogs estrus without negatively affecting subsequent pregnancies. Іn male cats and dogs, the drug inhibits sexual activity and regulates their behavior.
The drug is administered orally (fed to the animal with food or forced directly into the oral cavity) in doses:
For female cats:
– to interrupt estrus – 1 ml daily for eight days from the onset of estrus. Do not use if two days have passed since the beginning of estrus; it is recommended to interrupt estrus no more than two times a year; if it is difficult to determine the onset of estrus, it is better to delay it than to interrupt it;
– to delay estrus – 1 ml every two weeks. Apply as long as necessary to delay the onset of estrus; for cats who are in heat more often than average – 1 ml once a week.
For male cats:
– to calm down when signs of sexual arousal appear – 0.5 ml per day for no more than two weeks.
For female dogs:
– to interrupt estrus – 1 ml per 2.5 kg of body weight in the first three days, from 4 to 10 days give half the daily dose; it is recommended to apply no more than two courses per year;
– to delay estrus – 1 ml per 10 kg of body weight 7-15 days before the onset of estrus; the full course is 32 days.
For male dogs:
– to calm sexual arousal – 1 ml per 2.5 kg of body weight for eight days, then 0.5 ml per 2.5 kg for the next eight days.
Do not use for animals with diseases of the reproductive system (pyometra, metritis, endometritis), breast tumors, diabetes, immature animals, pregnant and lactating animals.
With prolonged use of the drug, changes in the sexual cycle, an increase in the mammary glands, excessive appetite, and an increase in body weight are possible.
The drug is used under the veterinary doctor’s supervision, especially for dogs of the Hort (Greyhound) breed.
Polymer ampoules-droppers of 1 ml.
In a dry, dark place at a temperature of 5 to 25 ° C.